We’re harvesting a fair bit of veg at the moment! This week we’ve picked a LOT – we were planning to put the quantities in here but the list is in the wrong place at the wrong time and this needs to be sent so will include in next week’s update. But we almost can’t pick quick enough! I think it’s around 30kgs tomatoes alone. We harvested runner beans last Thursday and the plants were full again by Sunday! – prolific.
Boxes this week
Three different types of squash this week – Blaze (red/yellow), Harlequin (yellowy/green stripy) and Acorn (called ‘Baked potato’) which is brown ridged. The apples are Discovery – first apples of the season! Also the first leeks of the season in the regular boxes. We still have courgettes coming out of our ears, our hens have been enjoying them and we’ve sneaked them in as extras to boxes that shouldn’t have been getting them this week. If you just can’t face another one, don’t worry too much about composting – if we hadn’t given to you they would have gone to waste.
What’s been happening this week?
We did a late sowing of purple sprouting broccoli and kale….and distressingly it’s all been eaten (80 seedlings) – we lost the battle against caterpillars. Apart from that, we’re still all about weeding and harvesting.
Let us know if you’d like any extras next week. We’ll invoice you separately for these bits, so if you have something extra from us and no invoice please just give us a nudge! If you can avoid paying by Paypal for small amounts that’s really helpful as we get charged.
- Malt Wheat Flakes (organic, British) – 500g @ £2.40 (we love these on our porridge!)
- Red fox carlin peas (organic, British) – 500g @ £1.40
- Green lentils (organic, British) – 500g @ £3.40
- Red split lentils (organic) – 500g @ £2.25
- Penne pasta (organic) – 500g @ £1.60
- Brown rice (organic)- 500g @ £2.25
- Strong white flour (organic) – 1.5kg @ £3.80
- Wholemeal flour (organic) – 1.5kg @ £3.80
A few ways you/we’ve been using the veg this week: Rataouille, Oven baked sweet dumpling squash, Kale sautéed with lemon and garlic, Cavolo Nero sautéed with soy sauce, Braised savoy with feta and cripsy crumb topping, Roasted carrot with chimichurri and smashed white beans, Aubergine koftas. Keep sending us your kitchen concoctions as they might inspire others!
A couple of recipe ideas…
1) Stuffed courgettes: Recipe here. You have to scroll down the page to get the full recipe at the bottom.
2) Gularati cabbage with coconut and potato: Recipe here. If you don’t like coconut I haven’t tried it but am sure you could leave it out.
As always, if you’re stuck as to what to do with anything, or really struggling to like something that’s in your box, please let me know and I’ll try to give you some ideas. I used to wonder what people saw in kale and chard and now I love them both – it’s just working out how to cook them in way that works for you!