We were a bit smashed by the storm, unfortunately our lovely willow bean structure is looking a bit worse for wear, and the chard got a bit battered. But everything else survived, phew.
Boxes this week
Still looking very full! The new potatoes are Charlottes, the plums are Victoria, apples are Discovery.
What’s been happening this week?
Wait for it, we’ve harvested….tomatoes (20.5kg), runner beans (9kg), lettuces (x 35), leeks (1.5kg), courgettes (90kg!!!), cucumbers (6kg), chard (6.5kg), french beans (3kg), aubergines (8kg). Not bad!
We’ve removed some courgette plants out of the polytunnel despite them still being very productive so we have space to start our winter crops.
Let us know if you’d like any extras next week. We’ll invoice you separately for these bits, so if you have something extra from us and no invoice please just give us a nudge! If you can avoid paying by Paypal for small amounts that’s really helpful as we get charged.
- Malt Wheat Flakes (organic, British) – 500g @ £2.40
- Red fox carlin peas (organic, British) – 500g @ £1.40
- Green lentils (organic, British) – 500g @ £3.40
- Red split lentils (organic) – 500g @ £2.25
- Penne pasta (organic) – 500g @ £1.60
- Brown rice (organic)- 500g @ £2.25
- Strong white flour (organic) – 1.5kg @ £3.80
- Wholemeal flour (organic) – 1.5kg @ £3.80
Fish – we’ve been getting a Fish Box all through lockdown and are going to continue for now as it feels like a good way of getting fish, and helps to keep us out of those pesky supermarkets. I’m not sure it’s the best option given where we live to be buying fish from Scotland, but they make it very easy and the fish seems great so we’ll stick with them unless one of you can tell us somewhere better to go! If you are interested in trying one yourself (it’s a 2 or 4 weekly subscription you can cancel any time, and you can tell them what you like/don’t like), let us know as we can then get you a referral code for you to get £10 off.
A few ways you/we’ve been using the veg this week: Courgette stuffed with carrot and hazelnut, Marrow, date and apple chutney, Marrow stuffed with allspice-flavoured lamb and aubergine, Cabbage medley sautéed with lemon, Courgette and sausage pasta, Aubergine and courgette pizza, Kale pesto (with walnuts instead of pine nuts). Keep sending us your kitchen concoctions as they might inspire others!
A couple of recipe ideas…
1) Greek lamb cabbage bowl: Recipehere. Yes I know the description isn’t a great one. But trust me. This is one of the nicest lamb mince dishes I’ve ever made, and it was super quick and easy as well as a great way to use up cabbage. Cinnamon and nutmeg in mince? Just try it – and let me know what you reckon! (we made ours with Glanllyn Farm lamb, served it with rice and squeezed lemon on top – the blog also says you can top with feta)
2) Smoky roasted eggplant (aubergine) dip: Recipe here.
As always, if you’re stuck as to what to do with anything, or really struggling to like something that’s in your box, please let me know and I’ll try to give you some ideas.