Thank you for all the messages wishing us well for Charlotte’s first week at school – she’s done 3 days and loves it, so far so good.
We managed to get away camping last weekend but back to it this week as the big news is that we’re in the process of taking on a shop in Denbigh! We’ll be using the space to pack the boxes and will be open limited hours each week to sell excess veg. More to come on this but we’ve mentioned to a few people and the reaction so far has been super supportive and positive.
Boxes this week
Roscoff onions again this week, hope you’re enjoying them. Boxes still looking pretty full, but we’re coming to the end of the beans and UK tomato supply is starting to drop off. We’ve ordered broccoli for next week but we’ve been warned that it doesn’t look as green as normal due to the amount of wet weather we’ve had. We still went ahead with buying it as wanted to support the farmers as they’ve had a pretty awful time particularly with brassicas.
What’s been happening this week?
More harvesting…aubergines (1.5kg), cucumbers (1kg), tomatoes (10kg), kale (10kg), leeks (5kg), runner beans/green beans (6 kg), courgettes (8kg – they’re still going but definitely coming to an end…). We’ve also managed to get one corn on the cob from our plants so far.
We’re just preparing the beds for winter crops- eek. We’ve just sowed spring cabbages, pak choi, lettuces.
Let us know if you’d like any extras next week. We’ll invoice you separately for these bits, so if you have something extra from us and no invoice please just give us a nudge! If you can avoid paying by Paypal for small amounts that’s really helpful as we get charged.
- Malt Wheat Flakes (organic, British) – 500g @ £2.40
- Red fox carlin peas (organic, British) – 500g @ £1.40
- Green lentils (organic, British) – 500g @ £3.40
- Penne pasta (organic) – 500g @ £1.60
- Brown rice (organic)- 500g @ £2.25
- Wholemeal flour (organic) – 1.5kg @ £3.80
Organic lemons – we’ve got another kg of lemons going spare next week (£2.80) if you’d like them.
A few ways you/we’ve been using the veg this week: Marrow and ginger jam, Apple, lemon and raisin crumble, Cabbage and courgette sauté, Cheesy spud, carrot and leek mash. Keep sending us your kitchen concoctions as they might inspire others!
A couple of recipe ideas…
1) Mushrom and Squash pilaf: Recipe here. It says to use wild mushhrooms but think normal ones will be fine, haven’t tried this recipe yet but looks easy and tasty (spinach optional and/or replace with some other greens)!
2) Sweet potato melts: Recipe here. These look REALLY good….definitely trying these when we next get sweet potato in our box!
As always, if you’re stuck as to what to do with anything, or really struggling to like something that’s in your box, please let me know and we’ll try to give you some ideas.